Short Course X-Adventure
The short course event is designed for beginners and intermediate level adventurers who might be tackling an off-road triathlon such as this for the first time.
It will be conducted in a friendly and relaxed way and provides the ideal environment for first timers to get into the action. Do it as an individual completing all legs, or as a relay team of up to 3 people doing one leg each.
750m Dunsborough Lakes Ocean Swim
All swimmers will start together with a deep water start * just off from the Old Dunsborough boat ramp for a superb swim through the crystal clear water of Geographe Bay. Completing a short 750m out and back swim with a series of left turns, swimmers remain within 200m of the coastline at all times (making for great viewing) whilst swimming over a sandy bottom kept alive with the fluttering of small fish in the shallows. Exit the water up the boat ramp and enter Transition #1 in the car park just 30m from the water’s edge.
6.2km Coastal Run
Exit the transition area (TA) and run along the hard sandy beach for 1km as the ideal warm up before things get a bit more technical with a 1.5km rock hopping section through to the turn around at Castle Rock. This short rocky section of coastline is made up of large granite boulders that are solid under foot and provide plenty of traction and interest to keep you full of smiles as you hop, step and jump your way along the course.
At Castle Rock, you turn and head for home with a fast section along the gravel walking track through the wildflowers before a couple of hills have you striding into Transition #2 ready for more.
11km Mountain Bike
Short course riders will complete a fun ~11km mountain bike ride through the Dunsborough Country Club grounds as a single loop that takes in some of the most fun trails in the area. This course will be technically easier than the long course but still include plenty of single track and other fun features.
Once complete, riders cycle over the finish line.
Course key elements
- The mass swim start will be held in deep water, from a very wide start line that will provide more space for swimmers.
- The MTB leg is at the end to ensure that the field is well spread out before hitting the single track, and there are plenty of overtaking opportunities on the trails to allow faster riders to pass
- Competitors complete the race and the MTB leg by riding over the finish line.
- The swim TA is immediately adjacent to the water so there is only a 50m run from water to transition
- The technical rock hopping section comes to less than 1.5km in total and includes plenty of variety from start to finish
- The start, T1, T2 and the finish are all within 500m of each other so there are minimal logistics and it is great for spectators with a great race atmosphere from start to finish
View the X-Adventure Short Course in a larger map HERE.
Mass Start Swim
Following the positive feedback we received from the previous 2 years, we will again be starting both long and short course races with a single wave mass start for all athletes. Please note the following about this start:
- The start line will be at least 60m wide so will allow plenty of space for swimers spread out.
- The start will be in deep water so there is no running into the water, minimsing any sswim start turmoil.
- The first turn buoy is 250m away so there is plenty of time to spread out before the first turn buoy.
- The single wave start helps to reduce congestion on the course compared to wave starts as there will not be faster competitors (who started later) going past slower competitors (who started earlier)
- The single wave start allows athletes to see how they rank overall and provides fairer results as everyone starts together.
- The atmosphere and enthusiasm of starting everyone together is highly motivating and a terrific experience to be part of.